ChangeUp Grants - Guidelines
Applications are now closed. Round 2 Online Application opens July 10th, 2017.
ChangeUp grants create opportunities for people aged 18-34 to initiate creative solutions-focused projects that address issues of discrimination and prejudice in their local communities.
The $10,000 one-time grants are for projects that implement creative strategies to open minds and shift attitudes that perpetuate prejudice and exclusion based on ethnicity, race or religion. Through the grants, Inspirit Foundation is particularly interested in supporting the development of effective, connected and influential young change leaders.
ChangeUp Grants fund projects that:
- Are developed and led by young people between the ages of 18-34 who have personal experience with issues and communities being addressed in the project;
- Engage local issues and stakeholders;
- Open minds and shift attitudes that perpetuate prejudice and exclusion based on ethnic, cultural or religious difference;
- Occur within a 12-month period;
- Take place in Canada.
We also consider the following criteria when assessing applications. While not mandatory, they strengthen your application. We look for projects that:
- Address one or both of Inspirit's current Issue areas: Islamophobia and Truth and Reconciliation;
- Use media and/or arts-based strategies to help achieve outcomes;
- The project team is well-suited to lead this project based on lived and/or professional experience; organizational focus and practice; and/or content expertise;
- Aim to build bridges across lines of ethnic, cultural or religious difference;
- Create opportunities for new partnerships or relationships to be strengthened;
- Involve and bring attention to the work and perspectives of diverse young change leaders;
- Engage community leaders, decision-makers, or other influencers.
What we look for in project proposals:
- A clear vision of what success might look like;
- An understanding of the issue(s) being addressed;
- How the project activities connect to the intended results;
- There is potential for the results or impact of the project t reach the broader community.
ChangeUp Grants do not fund:
- Projects that are led by people outside the 18-34 age bracket.
- Retroactive requests to fund activities that have already occurred.
- Activities that take place outside of Canada and projects that primarily benefit individuals living in another country.
- Initiatives that are run by non-Canadian organizations.
- Academic research, tuition, bursaries or scholarships.
- General fundraising efforts, capital campaigns or sponsorships.
- Personal appeals for financial support.
- Emergency funds.
- Activities that primarily promote religious or political beliefs.
$10,000 grant toward eligible project costs.
How to apply
- Review the ChangeUp guidelines above and ChangeUp FAQs.
- If you are unsure about whether your project fits, we welcome you to contact us.
- Access the online application form here (Applications are now closed. Round 2 Online Application opens July 10th, 2017).
- You can save your application at any time.
Please note: We can only assess one ChangeUp project proposal from an applicant at a time.
There are 2 rounds of ChangeUp Grants in 2017:
Round 1 Online Application Opens March 3rd, 2017
Application Deadline: April 18th, 2017 at 12:00 pm EST
Round 2 Online Application opens July 10th, 2017
Application Deadline: September 25th, 2017 5:00 PM EST
Questions? Please feel free to get in touch with us before you start your application to ensure that your ideas fit with the objectives and priorities of this program.