This fund aims to support change leaders aged 18-34 in the Thunder Bay region to access opportunities contributing to their leadership development. We invite Indigenous, Muslim, and racialized change leaders from this region to apply for support to participate in opportunities they’ve identified as valuable to building their skills, knowledge, and networks. Funds from this granting stream can cover registration, travel, food, and accommodation costs of up to $2,500 per person. Learning opportunities may include, but are not limited to, conferences and workshops. Applicants are permitted and encouraged to apply in groups of up to 3 people. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Please apply at least 8 weeks prior to the start date of opportunity you are looking to access.
This fund is available for change leaders who are:
- 18-34 years old and committed to building inclusion, particularly through addressing discrimination based on race, religion, and ethnicity;
- Based in Thunder Bay;
- Indigenous, Muslim, or racialized. (Please note that because this funding stream is tied to our Deep Dive strategy focused on improving outcomes for Indigenous youth in Thunder Bay, we will be prioritizing Indigenous applicants);
- Looking to access opportunities in Canada within 12 months of their application.
What we are looking for in applications:
- Clarity on the skills, knowledge, and/or networks you are looking to build and how the learning opportunity will fill this need. We are particularly interested in how this opportunity will support your development as change leaders working to advance inclusion in Canada;
- Learning opportunities delivered by organizations with a commitment to inclusion. We want to ensure we support you to participate in spaces where you are meaningfully engaged;
- Short-term learning opportunities. Please note these funds are not intended to support school tuition and similar costs. This fund can be put towards engagements such as conferences and workshops. Opportunities we have supported in the past include documentary impact trainings, forums focused on policymaking in Canada, and conferences related to civic engagement;
- A high level breakdown of anticipated costs, including food, accommodations, registrations, travel, etc. If you anticipate costs will amount to more than $2,500 per person, please explain why in your application;
- An opportunity to support emerging change leaders. We are especially interested in making opportunities available to those who may experience financial barriers or who may not have had many opportunities to access personal and professional development spaces.
What we do not fund:
- Post-secondary tuition;
- Equipment costs that may be required to participate in a learning opportunity (ex. laptops, cameras, etc.).
How to apply:
- Review the guidelines.
- If you are unsure whether you are eligible, please contact us.
- Fill out the application form (you can save at any time).
How are decisions made?
- Inspirit staff will review applications on an ongoing basis to ensure the applicant and the opportunity they’ve expressed interest in meet the program guidelines.
- Inspirit staff will then create a shortlist that will be reviewed at an internal program meeting.
- Applicants will be informed of their application’s approval or rejection within 4-6 weeks.
Please note: We can only assess one application per person/group.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Please note we will need 4-6 weeks to get back to you.
If you have any questions please contact Sanaa Ali-Mohammed, Program Officer.